Pi Nu Epsilon was founded at Armour Institute of Technology in January of 1927 for the purpose of giving recognition to those men and women who had unselfishly devoted their time and energies to the furtherance of good music. Only the second non-engineering honor fraternity at Armor Tech, Pi Nu Epsilon was founded by four members of the class of 1927, four members of the class of 1928, and Professor Emeritus Charles Wilbur Leigh.
Class of 1927
Class of 1928
Pi Nu Epsilon aided the musical organizations at the Alpha Chapter by sponsoring and promoting the musical activities on campus. It thrived for many years under the excellent and devoted guidance of Dr. O. Gordon Erickson, who served as Music Director at Armour Institute of Technology from 1932 until his death in August of 1953. In 1940, Armour Institute of Technology and Lewis Institute merged to form the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Pi Nu Epsilon was formally incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in the state of Illinois on May 16th, 1947, by DeWitt H. Pickens, John G. Seeger Jr., Hans H. Nord, and James W. Leichti. Later that month, on May 28th, 1947, the Beta Chapter was founded at Drexel Institute of Technology in Philadelphia, PA. Gamma Chapter (later renamed Epsilon) was founded on April 30th, 1955 at Ursinus College in Collegeville, PA. Delta Chapter was founded on May 12th, 1956, at Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, PA. Zeta Chapter was founded on April 15th, 1989, at Millersville University in Millersville, PA.
In 1997, a large effort was made to locate our national charter, especially important for chapter expansion and legal purposes. The office of the National Historian was created to research and preserve our history. At the April 1997 National Convention at Drexel University, Bryan Housel was elected as the first National Historian. Over the summer of 1997, he obtained copies of the National Charter and Articles of Incorporation from the state of Illinois. Along with them was a copy of our statement of dissolution, stating that our corporate status was dissolved on November 1st, 1980 upon failing to submit an annual report.
At the March 1998 National Convention at Ursinus College, necessary changes were made to the Pi Nu Epsilon Bylaws and the first new board of directors was elected. Pi Nu Epsilon was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in the state of Pennsylvania by:
Natl President: Rob Cruz (Drexel ’97)
Natl Vice Pres: Ray Shearer (Shippensburg ’97)
Natl Secretary: Marci Cropp (Shippensburg ’98)
Natl Treasurer: Mike Craley (Drexel ’97)
Natl Historian: Bryan Housel (Drexel ’99)
Pi Nu Epsilon Today
Pi Nu Epsilon is now looking for opportunities to expand to additional colleges with music and performance arts programs. The Eta Chapter was founded on December 11, 2011 at Thiel College in Greenville, PA.
The Beta, Delta, and Eta chapters are the current active chapters in the organization and we attempt to maintain a regular flow of communication among ourselves. This is accomplished with a spring convention which each school organizes on a rotating basis.